Fastag

Social Media Guilt

Social Media insights are interesting; they give me such control over the content that I post. Insights help me understand that if I post regularly, my profile will grow. It tells me what time of day my followers are most active and if I post around that time, ill get better interaction. These very insights also tells me that a picture where a little cleavage is showing would get a lot more shares and likes – even though I have covered every bit of my body except for that tiny bit of cleavage.

While this well oiled machinery of social media platforms demanding content from me and I subserviently providing it to them, just to stay relevant and not let my “reach” drop, worked well for a while. It came to a grinding halt around a month ago when the Covid-19 situation in the country hit the roof. 

Even though we have been dealing with the situation for over a year now, we didn’t see the cases worsen and the situation get this bad until around a month ago.

We were, well... managing.

But, now when the people in charge have decided to look the other way.
When people on Social Media used their “reach” to provide help and oxygen.

I felt a punch in my gut even at the thought of posting anything relatively ‘normal’ on my feed or story.

How could I post about my normal life, when people are struggling in the city?

And that brings me to people who are still posting about fashion and make up. And makes me wonder, is it really necessary? Yes, we need a break from the grim situation and yes, this content could bring in some distraction. But, but…

I understand that, Social Media is the main source of income for influencers and content creators. If they stop posting, their “reach” drops.

Shouldn’t we have some balance in life then?
Social media giants have ensured we don’t.

My last post on Instagram was exactly a month ago, and I do not know when I will post again. I feel guilty even at the thought of doing so.

Hopefully soon, as soon as the situation gets a little better.

 

 

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

 

Comments